Without adequate diagnostic technology and training, treatment for many conditions cannot be delivered in a meaningful way. More than half of the world lacks adequate imaging tools, technology, and training, impacting the diagnosis of conditions that include cancer, heart disease, maternal-infant complications, and many more.
Dr. Ernst Garçon has focused his global health efforts on bringing radiology technology and training to his home country of Haiti. Through his partnerships with organizations that include the American College of Radiology (ACR), Partners in Health, RAD-AID, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), and the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT), as well as private foundations and universities, Dr. Garçon has helped facilitate and implement numerous projects that bring radiology and radiology expertise to a low-resource country through ongoing education, equipment, and support.
1. 2012: Worked with the American College of Radiology Foundation to reopen and update the only radiology residency training program in Haiti, at the Hôpital de l'Universite d'Etat d'Haiti in Port au Prince. Dr. Garçon is considered a residency faculty and has lectured on many occasions.
2. 2015: Worked with Department of Radiology leadership at CUMC to organize and credential Columbia radiologists to read scans for a CT scanner donated to the Hôpital Universitaire de Mirebalais by Partners in Health.
3. 2018: Collaborated with RAD-AID to organize a Breast Cancer Screening Conference at the Hôpital de l'Universite d'Etat d'Haiti in Port au Prince, featuring Columbia Radiology breast imaging specialists and other radiologists from the department.
4. 2021: Planned opening of a radiology technologist training program at the Universite d'Etat d'Haiti. Dr. Garçon has worked with a private foundation, university leadership, and ASRT to develop a curriculum for the only radiology technologist program in Haiti.
5. Ongoing: Numerous trips to Haiti with the ACR Foundation, RAD-AID, and Columbia Radiology faculty and residents to provide radiology education to faculty and radiology residents at the Hôpital de l'Universite d'Etat d'Haiti. Numerous observerships at Columbia for radiology residents at the Hôpital de l'Universite d'Etat d'Haiti.
Collaborating Institutions and Organizations:
American College of Radiology (ACR), Partners in Health, RAD-AID, Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT), Wesner Biassou, MD Charitable Fund.
Areas of Focus
Access to Health Care